Retirement Planning

Print this page

How It Works

What should I do when I am ready to retire?

During the 60 days prior to your anticipated retirement date, contact the Employee Benefits Department at 904-390-2351 to schedule your appointment. At this appointment you will complete all required retirement paperwork and enrollment of health/life plans and voluntary flexible benefits you wish to continue.

When I retire, to whom do I send payments?

Retirees continuing their eligible group health and/or term life insurance should elect to pay their full premium payments through monthly deductions from their Florida Retirement System (FRS) check, investment plan, ACH or direct pay. Deductions for health and/or term life insurance must be paid from your FRS retirement check – provided the retirement benefit would support the deduction.

FBMC Benefits Management, Inc. administers all retiree billing for all retirees who continue benefits. If your retirement benefit will not support your deductions, you will receive a monthly statement from FBMC Benefits Management, Inc. to provide direct payment. When you retire, a representative from the Employee Benefits Department will meet with you. During this appointment, you will decide how you will be paying for your group benefits.

I am retiring, when does my active employee insurance end?

Your benefits as an active employee end on the last day of the month in which you retire. However, for all employees who retire at the end of a school year and work through their contract period, coverage will end on August 31st of that year.

As a retiree am I eligible to continue my health and voluntary insurance?

You are eligible to continue your health, dental, vision, basic life, and some voluntary benefits once you retire. In order to continue benefits as a retiree, your retirement date must take place in a month in which you are covered under the District’s benefits plan.

Once you reach age 65 and become a Medicare recipient, your healthcare benefits under the Duval County Public Schools (DCPS) benefits umbrella will end.

How do I sign up for Medicare?

You must sign up for Medicare through Social Security. If you are already receiving Social Security benefits, you will automatically get Medicare Parts A and B beginning on the first day of the month you turn 65.

If you are under 65, but have already been receiving disability benefits from Social Security for at least 24 months, you will be automatically enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B.

If you are turning 65 but not currently receiving Social Security benefits, you must sign up for Medicare Parts A and B. Contact your local Social Security office three months before you turn 65 to learn more about your enrollment options. You can also apply for Medicare Parts A and B online at: www.socialsecurity.gov/retirement.

May I continue my basic life insurance?

All current employees who retire with DCPS may retain their Basic Life amount under the Retiree group insurance plan. A retiree may also elect to port their optional Term Life and AD&D or convert any portion of optional coverage to a Whole Life contract.

What happens to my sick leave?
Click here to find out more >>

Where can I learn more about FRS?

All processing of retiring DCPS employees is completed in the Employee Benefits Department. A retirement coordinator is available to meet with you and provide estimates of benefits to employees planning to retire or join the Deferred Retirement Option Program. Call 904-390-2351 for more information. Or get answers from an experienced, unbiased financial planner at no cost to you by calling the MyFRS Financial Guidance Line Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. (except holidays) at 1-866-446-9377, Option 1 (TRS 711).

Click here to find out more >>

Where can I find out more about 403b and 457 investment plans?

Visit the DCPS TSA website for a complete list of providers and their contact information. TSA has also provided a 403b and 457 plan participation guide.